See the Honors Program Librarian Spotlight for an interview with Deborah about her research and work with students
- "Stories of Becoming: A Life That has Paid Attention," Oral History Project with Barbara Lundquist, UW emeritus faculty, School of Music (Summer, 2017). Deposited in the University of Washington Ethnomusicology Archives (Fall, 2017).
- "Redefining Music Appreciation: Exploring the Power of Music," College Music Symposium, 55 (June, 2015)
- "Rising to a New Paradigm: Infusing Health and Wellness into the Music Curriculum," Philosophy of Music Education Review, 20, no. 2 (Fall, 2012): 154-176.
- Regular musician wellness column in Glissando, Pacific Harp Institue's newsletter, 2008-2011.
- "Reaching Beyond Traditional Boundaries: The Librarian and Musicians' Health," Notes 67, no. 1, 2010: 50-67.
- Klickstein, Gerald. The Musician's Way: A Guide to Practice, Performance, and Wellness (Review) Notes, 66, no.4, 2010: 803-5.
- "Inflencing the Now and Future Faculty: Retooling Information Literacy," Notes 66, no. 2, 2009: 233-48.
- "Music's Role in Brain Injury Recovery: A Musician's Journey," Open Ear Center Training Materials, 2005.
- "Incorporating Information Literacy into the Music Curriculum: A Look at ACRL's Best Practices Initiatives and Successful Music Programs," Music Reference Services Quarterly, 8, no. 4 (2004)
Courses Taught at the University of Washington
- Faculty advisor for Undergraduate Senior Thesis (CHID 491B), Leigh Friedman, "sightSEAer: Southern Hip-Hop, Identity, Ethics, and Feminism," 2017.
- Honors 398/394: Exploring the Power of Music, Winter Quarters, 2012 through 2018.
- GenSt 197: Inspiration from Contemporary Thinkers: Exploring Your Place in the Universe, Winter, 2009 and 2011 ; GenSt 297: Spring, 2013, 2015-2018
- GenST 350: Faculty supervisor for Service Learning project, 2009
- GenSt 197: The Power of Music, Winter, 2010
- MusEd 496: Mind and Body Health for Musicians, Summer, 2003
- Supervised several Fieldwork students for the Information School
Selected Web-Accessible Databases Created
- "Whose Voice Am I Missing? Using Reflective Pedagogy in the Music Classroom," College Music Society National Conference, San Antonio, TX, October, 2017
- "Facilitating Innovative Undergraduate Music Inquiry Projects: Rethinking the Research Paper," College Music Society National Conference, San Antonio, TX, October, 2017
- "What Art Offers Leadership," UW Leadership Educators Workshop, May 25, 2017.
- "Tips and Techniques for Balancing Yourself as a Thinker/Writer," OWRC Dissertation Retreat, Summer, 2016.
- Interviewed for "Please Interrupt Us," OWRC Podcast on research and writing, April, 2016.
- "Toward a Process of Inquiry: Revisiting Tutor Training in the OWRC," Team Poster session, Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium, University of Washington Center for Teaching and Learning, April 19, 2016.
- "In Process: Framing Student Inquiry." OWRC Tutor Training, Fall, 2015 (with John Holmes & Kathleen Collins)
- "Exploring Your Place in the Universe: Integrating Social Artistry with Pedagogical Research Allies." Social Artistry Summit, Ashland, OR, August, 2014.
- Workshop: "Sharing Your Expertise with Other Audiences", OWRC Dissertation Retreat, Summer, 2014.
- "Teaching the Realms of Knowing: Framing Thinking in the Classroom," Poster session, Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium, University of Washington Center for Teaching and Learning, April 15, 2014.
- "Anyone Can Sing: Exploring the Power of Music," Your Brain Needs Music Symposium, American Music Research Center, Boulder, CO, October, 2013.
- Workshop: "Integrating Research and Writing", Tutor Training for the Odegaard Writing & Research Center, Summer, 2013.
- "Teaching the Art of Interconnection, Communication, and Transformation through Music," Social Artistry Summit and Congress, Ashland, OR, August, 2012.
- Panelist: "Artists Speaking About the Muse," Social Artistry Summit and Congress, Ashland, OR, August, 2012.
- "RISM Data as Metadata for Digital Collections," Music Documentation in Libraries, Scholarship, and Practice, Mainz, June, 2012 (Paper read by co-pi, Anne Graham)
- "Providing the Hook: Designing Assignments with Personal Relevance and Life-Long Learning Skills," Poster session, Annual Teaching and Learning Symposium, University of Washington Center for Teaching and Learning, April 19, 2011.
- "Building a Patchwork of Possibility: Projects and Reflections of a Musician, Educator, and Scholar," Social Artistry Summit and Congress, Seattle, WA, 2011.
- "Creation of the University of Washington Music Digital Library: Bringing RISM A/II Manuscripts to the World," Pacific Northwest Music Library Association Meeting, Vancouver, BC, April 29, 2011.
- Guest lecture/demonstrations, "The Harpsichord in the Baroque," Music 120, Fall, 2005 through Winter, 2011
- Guest lecture, "Information Literacy in the Music Curriculum: Teaching in the Information Age," Music 520 (Music in Higher Education), Fall, 2007.
- "Musician's Wellness," University of Washington Teacher In-Service Day, 2006.
- "Dousing Slow Burning Fires: A Dewey Scores Preservation Project," Music Library Association National Meeting, February, 2006.
- Day-long workshops "Marching to Different Drummers: Learning and Communication Styles," University of Washington, 2001; Oregon State University, 2003.