1. Activate Google Apps in your MyUW Account.
- See the Activate Google Apps Handout for step by step instructions.
- It's important that everyone set up their own individual account, so that you can all be added to the group's map.
- Once this is set up, you can log in using Gmail but using your whole UW NetID.
- for example: firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Choose one group member to be the owner of the map and create a new map.
- There can only be one owner for each map.
- That owner should share the map with the rest of the group using their UW NetIDs.
- Everyone can then edit the same map.
3. Decide how your group wants to use the map and what your map should to illustrate.
- What kind of background do you want for your map? Satellite? Terrain? Political?
- Do you want to have icons, colors, or other themes for your markers?
- What information do you want to convey with these markers?
- Are there images or videos that would be beneficial to add to markers?
- Do you want to link markers with lines? Should the lines be customized by color?
- Do you want layers? How do layers help you convey your chain?
4. Know your rights!
- Anything posted on the internet is immediately protected by Copyright Law. There are excepts for using material for academic purposes, but even so make sure you have the right to use any images or videos you might include and properly cite the source.
- Some images have been released under Creative Commons license. These licenses, like CC-BY, allow creators to give permissions for their content to be retained, reused, revised, remixed, and redistributed by others and are an alternative to normal copyright which requires permissions to be obtained and/or royalties paid to use creative work. Check out the collections available here:
5. Add the other desired attributes to your map.