Mendeley offers word processing plug-ins for Microsoft Word and LibreOffice. To install the plug-ins, go to the Tools menu on the Mendeley Desktop version. In the drop down menu, click on the appropriate line to "Install MS Word/LibreOffice Plugin". For troubleshooting plug-in installation, please refer to the Mendeley Support page.
- In Windows machines (some versions MS Word), you should find the Mendeley toolbar in View > Toolbars in the word processor menu. Select the Mendeley toolbar, and you should find buttons "Insert Citation", "Insert Bibliography", etc.
- In MS Word 2007 and 2010, the Mendeley plug-in may be found in the Word "References" ribbon.
- In Microsoft Word 2008 for Mac, the Mendeley text menu will be found by clicking on the script menu: .
- To add a citation while writing, just click on "Insert Citation" and a pop-up box will appear offering the opportunity to search for your citation by author, title or year in your Library or your Groups, or to go to Mendeley directly.
- At the end of your paper, click "Insert Bibliography". Your bibliography will appear, and new citations will be added automatically.
- Change bibliographic styles with "Choose Citation Styles" in the Mendeley toolbar. Choosing this option in the word processor will not necessarily change the style in your Mendeley Desktop version Library.