The web resources to be used for your class assignment are linked below.
Today you will work to locate sources on a specific topic for your Literature Search Workshop, Annotated Bibliography, and Literature Review Matrix assignments.
1. Advice for Winter Quarter 2021:
- Use our chat service for questions.
Immediately available online resources (articles, public web sources, databases, e-videos, e-journals, e-books, etc.) are your best bet in support of your assignments, since the library buildings are closed.
service from UW Bothell Campus Library. The winter quarter curbside pickup hours are on Mondays from 10am-12pm, 3pm - 6pm, and Thursdays from 12pm - 3pm. (By appointment only Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 12 to 6pm.)
2. Intro to the New Nursing Students Orientation Guide and handout.
- 2020-21 Orientation Guide handout in docx and pdf formats
3. Future assignments (Julie's summary):
The BNURS 360/460 coordination: Community Partner Sign Up (5 pts) (in Week 3) page in Canvas will include the BNURS 360-460 Community Partners List that lists the clinical research topics.
After we meet in Week 3, the students will start exploring the literature to answer their PICOT questions that they created Weeks 3 & 4. In Weeks 5 through 8 you will be guided in critiquing different types of research articles such as qualitative, quantitative, randomized controlled trials, etc. You will compile 5 or 6 articles for your final project using literature matrix table, compose an annotated bibliography, and submit as a final project as a word document after week 9.
Are we clear on the types of resources you need to start looking for? What questions do you/we have?
(Optional) Please see the instructions below both the CINAHL and PubMed areas for how to limit to various types of research articles
4. Questions/comments about the Canvas assignment for "Library Workshop Assignment #1: Interlibrary Loan Account Setup- due by (11:59pm 1/11)" homework? Any questions about the UW Libraries Interlibrary Loan services? Suggestions for improvements to this assignment?
5. Questions/comments about the CINAHL Quiz in Canvas, titled "Library Workshop Assignment #2: Searching in CINAHL - Scholarly Resources & Full Text - due by (11:59pm, 1/18)? What questions do you have about CINAHL?
- CINAHL - UW Restricted. How-to Guides from the UWB Campus Library (pdf), tutorials, and the UW HSL CINAHL Help Guide
- (Optional) Julie will search for medication errors and long term care (or something else) and discuss as a large group the search results. Look at the article title, date, journal name, publication type, abstracts, and subjects to see if relevant to topic. We will skim to try to locate more search words to revise your search to get different results in CINAHL.
Optional CINAHL Limits and Search Strategies:
- Publication Type – Limit results to source types such as Clinical Trial, Evidence-Based Care Sheet, Interview, Meta Analysis, Meta Synthesis, Nursing Diagnoses, Nursing Interventions, Randomized Controlled Trial, Research, Review, Statistics, Systematic Review, or Tables/Charts. Scroll down in the box to see the full list of types. You can select multiple items either by holding down the control key (Ctrl) on a PC, or the Apple button on a Mac computer.
- Clinical Queries – (What are they? Search strategies used, Help Sheet.doc) – Can limit to Therapy, Prognosis, Review, Qualitative, and Causation (Etiology). See the Help Sheet for definitions of High Sensitivity, High Specificity, and Best Balance.
- Quantitative article types: Clinical Trial, Randomized Controlled Trial
- Qualitative article types: Meta Synthesis, Qualitative (in Clinical Queries)
- Review article types: Meta Analysis, Review, Systematic Review
- If needed, you can type the word qualitative or quantitative in your search. (Optional UW HSL guide for "Finding Qualitative Research Articles")
- native americans and diabetes and qualitative
- aged and female and chronic pain and quantitative
- Can also add the CINAHL Heading of "Qualitative Studies" to your search.
6. Questions/comments about the PubMed Quiz in Canvas, titled "Library Workshop Assignment #3: Searching in PubMed (MedLine) for Research Articles - due by (11:59pm, 1/18)" What questions do you have about PubMed?
Optional PubMed Filters and Search Strategies:
- Filter by Article Types: After you have completed a search, you can filter by a variety of article types including the sample below, and then and click on the "Show" button. (Ask your professor which article types are acceptable to use.)
- Quantitative article types: Clinical Trial, Controlled Clinical Trial, Multicenter Study, Pragmatic Clinical Trial, Randomized Controlled Trial, and Validation Study
- Review article types: Meta-Analysis, Review, and Systematic Review
- If needed, you type the word qualitative or quantitative in your search. (Optional UW HSL guide for "Finding Qualitative Research Articles")
- native americans diabetes qualitative
- aged female chronic pain quantitative
- Search for qualitative articles with MeSH Terms, by adding them to your search words. (List online.)
- "Qualitative Research"
- "Interviews as Topic"
- "Focus Groups"
- "Nursing Methodology Research"
7. APA Citing, UW Libraries Search, and Evaluating Sources Pages:
8. (Optional) Mining Citations -- Small Group Activity:
- Tutorial page for Mining CINAHL Results for New Search Words/Phrases.
- As you search think about what trends you see about your topic in the literature.
- Mine the article titles, abstracts, and subject headings for new words to help you refine your search results.
- Also, use the words to create new search phrases to see what else is available on your topic.