Skip to main content
Finding Journal Articles & more
Articles on American Indian, Native American, or indigenous topics can be found in databases covering various disciplines. Those listed here are some of the major databases for conducting research on topics in ethnic studies.
Database searching tips
Use databases to find citations (and sometimes full text) to articles and other materials. There are specialized databases for various subjects. Listed in the boxes below are some selected database starting points for finding articles on topics in Native Americans.
- The connector AND returns results with both terms: Muckleshoot AND treatise;
Existing Indian Family Exception AND ICWA
- The connector OR returns results with either term: American Indians OR Native Americans OR First Nations
Good for use with related terms or synonyms
- Placing terms in parentheses ( ) indicates separate concepts, like an equation, (A or B) and C
genocide AND ( American Indians OR Native Americans OR First Nations )
- Placing two or more words in quotation marks " " returns results using that specific phrase
- Truncation * returns results with a root word and any ending
genocid* [finds genocide, genocides, genocidal ...]
Note: some databases use different truncation symbols (* is most common; others include !, $,
Starting Points for American Indian Studies
The databases below provide access to articles, many in full-text.
More Article Databases...
[UW restricted], these databases are accessible remotely by UWNetID.
- Alt-Press Watch full-text articles from alternative and independent press sources.
- APS Online articles published between 1740 and 1900, good source for primary source materals.
- CQ Researcher Full-text access to indepth articles covering a wide range of issues. A good source for finding opposing viewpoints.
- eHRAF A collection of ethnographic and other texts indexed by culture and subject
- Ethnic Newswatch Journal, magazine, and newspaper articles from ethnic and minority presses.
- Expanded ASAP Full-text access to scholarly and general interest periodicals in all disciplines
- Literature Resource Center Literary biographies, journal articles, critical essays, and an encyclopedia of literary terms
- Social Work Abstracts social work and social services articles.
E-Journals in American Indian Studies
E-Journals are online full-text scholarly (academic, peer reviewed, refereed) publications to which the library subscribes.
Scholarly journals and books in all disciplines.
Collection of humanities & social sciences electronic journals & 20,000+ ebooks.
No Online Article Available
If the full-text of an article is not available directly in a database such as America: History and Life, then click on the Check for Full Text UW button to find out if the UW has an electronic or print copy of the journal article you need. If there is no button, then check UW Libraries Search for the title of the journal to determine if the UW owns a copy.