Skip to main content
Using UW Libraries Search to Find Books
You can find eBooks in two ways:
- Do your search and then on the results screen, filter your results by using the toolbar:
- Choose Availability: "Available Online" and Resource Type: "eBooks"
- And then click on the green "Apply Filters" button
- Use the Advanced Search option
- Change "Show Only" to "UW Libraries" and "Material Type" to "eBooks"
- See the eBook FAQ for more information
- By Topic - Type in the keywords that broadly describe your topic. For example: hygiene london history
- By Title - search for a specific book by title. Type in the first few words of the book title in quotations. For example: "atomic frontier days"
- By Author - search for books written by a specific author. Type in the last name followed by the first name of the author in quotations. For example: "warren adam"
History eBook Collections
Use the "Material Type" option in UW Libraries Search to limit your search results to eBooks. Additional collections of eBooks can be found on eBook Collections guide. The following collections have strong history content:
Finding Books Beyond the UW
If you can't find the books you need at the UW or through our Summit partner libraries (Summit material can be found in UW Libraries Search), use the following catalogs. Books not available at the UW can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Browsing Medical History
The UW Libraries arranges medical books by National Library of Medicine call numbers. Though history is covered in every sub-category of medicine (e.g., history of tuberculosis is in the section dealing with the respiratory system), the major section for medical history is listed below.
||General History of Medicine
For a more specific breakdown of the call numbers see the Outline of the NLM Classification.