Skip to Main Content
Search tips for finding books and articles through UW Libraries Search
- By Topic - Type in the keywords that broadly describe your topic. For example: obama rhetoric. On the results screen use the "Resource Type" options on the left toolbar to limit your results to books. This will eliminate any articles that were found.
- By Title - search for a specific book by title. Type in the first few words of the book title in quotations. For example: "Castells and the media". if you don't see the book on your list of results then use the "Resource Type" options on the left toolbar to limit your results to books. This will eliminate any book reviews that were found.
- By Author - search for books written by a specific author. Type in the last name followed by the first name of the author in quotations. For example: "foot kirsten". On the results screen use the "Resource Type" options on the left toolbar to limit your results to books. This will eliminate any book reviews and articles that were found.
Getting too many results or irrelevant results? Try these search tips:
- Use AND, OR, NOT, *, and "" in order to create a more powerful search.
- Use the Advanced Search.
- Try searches like these:
- "digital divide" AND "developing countries"
- africa AND "digital divide"
- "social media" AND activism
- "social media" AND communit*
Note the library name and call number -- you need this information to locate the book.
The Third Digital Divide by
Publication Date: 2017-02-22
Non-fiction books can provide both an overview and indepth analysis of a topic, event, or person. Many books will include a reference list or bibliography that can lead you to other research/writings on the topic.
Don't forget to use the Search Tips. Try searches like these:
- internet and development
- "developing countries" and technology
If the UW Libraries does not have the book that you need, request it through UW Libraries Search or Interlibrary Loan.
UW Libraries | UW Bothell/CC Campus Library | UW Tacoma Library | Health Sciences Library | Gallagher Law Library
Responsible Use of Electronic Resources | Privacy | Terms