Skip to main content
Search Strategy Development
What articles do you want to find? Strategies for monitoring adherence to antiretroviral medication among people with HIV in South Africa.
- Identify key concepts: anti-retroviral/anti-HIV medication; medication adherence; South Africa
- If you're familiar with the PICO/PIO/PICOT approach to framing clinical questions, this corresponds to:
- population: people with HIV in South Africa
- intervention: anti-retroviral therapy
- outcome: medication adherence
- Generate synonyms and terms to express those concepts in different ways: anti-retroviral, antiretroviral, anti-HIV, HAART, ritonavir.
- Consider using quotation marks, asterisks, and MeSH terms: "anti retroviral" OR "Anti-HIV Agents"[Mesh]
- Each concept can be held within a set of parentheses, using OR to find articles mentioning any of the terms listed for the concept: ("anti retroviral" OR antiretroviral OR "anti-HIV" OR HAART OR "Anti-Retroviral Agents"[Mesh])
- Combine your key concepts using AND so each article retrieved by PubMed has to mention each concept: ("anti retroviral" OR antiretroviral OR "anti-HIV" OR HAART OR "Anti-Retroviral Agents"[Mesh]) AND (adherence OR adherent OR compliance OR compliant OR "Medication Adherence"[Mesh]) AND ("South Africa")