Skip to Main Content
Select Libraries are open. Online resources and support are available 24/7! Please see our COVID-Update page for reopening dates and hours starting in September. UW Libraries COVID-19 Updates
There are also many excellent websites that provide access to primary and secondary resources pertaining to England in the 20th Century. Some are listed below. If searching for additional sites on Google, be sure to note the author/sponsor of the site and see if it is a credible source. For more tips on evaluating websites, see the following guide:
- British Library Images Online - "Instant access to thousands of the greatest images from the British Library's collections which include manuscripts, rare books, musical texts and maps spanning almost 3000 years. The range of images available include illustrations, drawings, paintings and photographs of topics pertaining to all areas of British history and culture.
- British Archives - The government's national archive for England, Wales and the United Kingdom, the archives holds over a 1,000 years of the nation's records.
- English Literature on the Web - A great resource if looking for an online concordance. This allows the searching of words and phrases in full-text materials, such as poems, novels and short stories.
- Modern English Collection - UVA's online collection of fiction, non-fiction, poetry, drama, letters, newspapers, manuscripts and illustrations for 1500 to the present.
- Literary History - Catalogs credible literary criticism on nineteenth and twentieth century English and American literature that is available on the free internet. The books and articles we link to are selected by the editor, based on our selection policy. This site is intended to be a demonstration project, showing what would be possible if there were many good, open access articles on the internet, and if they were analyzed and screened by an advisory committee of scholars."