Skip to main content
About This Guide
Image: Maureen Nolan
These are the guidelines by which materials are purchased for the forest sciences collections of the UW Libraries (Seattle Campus). For questions or more information, please contact the Environmental and Forest Sciences Librarian.
UW Libraries: Collection Goals
The UW Libraries is committed to providing convenient and timely access to collections and information resources that are outstanding with respect to their quality, depth, diversity, format and currency to support the research and teaching missions of the University of Washington.
The School of Forest Resources focuses on the sustainable development of products from natural resources and the sustainable management of environments that include wilderness and park-like ecosystems, intensively managed planted forests, and urban environments. Areas of research focus include sustainability in the forest products industry, sustainable forest management, and maintaining biodiveristy.
Library of Congress Classification (LC):
- Leisure and outdoor recreation is represented in the GV schedule.
- Economics of land and industry are found in the HC and HD schedules.
- Natural history and ecology are covered in the QH schedule.
- Botany is represented in the QK schedule.
- Conservation of natural resources and soils is found in the S schedule.
- Zoology is represented in the QL schedule.
- Plant growth, plant pathology, pests and diseases, parks, and grasslands are covered in the SB schedule.
- Wildlife and game are found in the SK schedule.
- Wood, fiber and environmental concerns are covered in the TA schedule.
- Watersheds are found in the TC schedule.
- Water and environmental concerns are represented in the TD schedule.
- Fire is covered in the TH schedule.
- Forest products technology including wood, pulp and paper is found in the TS schedule.
Dewey Decimal Classification (Dewey materials are all located in remote storage):
- Natural resources economics and conservation are found at 333-338.
- Biology, including history and ecology is classified under 570 and 574-579.
- Zology is found at 590-599.
- Soils are found at 631.
- Forests and forestry, forest fire are represented at 634.
- Wildlife is covered at 639.
- Timber is found at 674.
- Pulp and paper technology is represented at 676.
- Outdoor recreation is found at 711-790.
- Parks are found at 917.