Skip to Main Content

DVDs and Videos: Videos with PPR

Films with Public Performance

Videos that Don't Require Permission

The Media Collection purchases some videos that come with Public Performance Rights (PPR). At the moment, the UW Libraries Catalog does not identify which videos have PPR and which do not. The only way to find them is by knowing which distributors include PPR with their videos.

Below are some of the major distributors that include PPR with their titles. Each distribtors' name links to a list of their videos available in the Media Collection. Other videos with PPR may be available, and Media Collection staff can assistant you in finding these titles. If you would like help or have any questions, please contact us at

Videos without Public Performance Rights

Videos that Require Permission

 Can we show a movie on campus?

Movies are a great way to reach out to other students, but student groups are often unclear about copyright restrictions. Most movies are copyrighted and cannot be legally shown in a public setting without permission from the copyright holder. It doesn’t matter whether you charge admission or not. This guide, created by the Library Media Collection and Student Life, explains the copyright restrictions associated with movies and gives suggestions on how to plan a movie showing.

 What’s up with the FBI warning on videos?

You may have never read the FBI Warning at the beginning of a video. It says, “Federal law provides severe civil and criminal penalties for unauthorized reproduction, distribution or exhibition of copyrighted motion pictures.” This text appears on movies released for home use and is based in copyright law. In essence, the FBI warning is saying that you can’t show the video outside your home. Nearly all of the movies you borrow from the Library, rent or buy are intended for home use and cannot be shown in a public setting.

 What is a public showing?

Many student groups think, “Our event’s free, so we should be able to just show the video.” The issue is not whether you charge admission, but whether you show the video in a public setting. The definition of a public showing of a movie, according to copyright law, is to “display it at a place open to the public or at any place where a substantial number of persons outside of a normal circle of a family and its social acquaintances is gathered.” Advertising your event or holding it in an open space like the oUWTpost or Carwein Auditorium would constitute a public showing.

 How do we get permission to show a movie?

Getting permission to show most popular, mainstream movies is fairly simple, but make sure you do it early in your planning process. It takes time and, in most cases, money. The price for showing a movie can be up to $100 or more, depending on the size of the group and the movie’s popularity. For rare or international films, the process can be complicated because the copyright holder may not be immediately apparent.

Contact the movie distributor and obtain permission to show the film. Many titles are available from the following sources:

When you contact the distributor, be prepared to provide the following information:

  • Your name and the name of your organization
  • Where and to whom you will show the film
  • How your organization will pay for the rights to show the movie
  • Contact information for your organization
  • Whether or not you need a copy of the film

Once you have obtained permission, the Manager of Student Life must receive written verification from the distributor. If you plan to show a movie from the Library, the librarian responsible for the Media Collection also needs a copy of the letter. Form letters are available at Student Life and the Media Collection for this purpose.