Skip to Main Content
All Libraries are open with limited hours. Masks required, no eating allowed. Online resources and support are available 24/7 UW Libraries Operations Updates
- Some materials are stored off-site and are not available for same-day use.
- Some parts of the collection are not available for group use, such as Book Arts and Rare Books.
- A small portion of the collections have restrictions on access. Most Manuscript and Archival collections are available for public use, but some may only be used by advanced academic researchers or are subject to other restrictions. In the case of many University Archives collections may contain temporarily non-public materials that are restricted to use only by University officials.
Using Special Collections
We welcome all users to Special Collections, but, because of the unique nature of our collections there are some precautions that need to be taken before you visit.
- Our hours: Note we are open different hours than the rest of the library, plan your stop at SC accordingly.
- We prefer no more than 6 researchers and chaperones as a group at a time
- Please make sure and contact SC ahead of your visit and include any topics you or your students want to work on, this will help us have materials ready for you when you arrive.
- Lisa Oberg, Head of Public Services @ (206)543-7492, or fill out this form
- When arranging to visit the University of Washington Libraries it is recommended that teachers and librarians arrange a brief orientation to the UW Libraries as a whole, so that you and your students will have a general idea of the UW Libraries system, physical arrangement of materials and computerized systems before beginning. To arrange an orientation, please fill out this form.
- When planning your visit, take into account that every person who is coming to SC will need to register at the beginning of your visit (including any chaperones), which can take some time for larger groups
- The History Day Research Guide directs History Day teachers and students to materials, services and resources available at the University of Washington Libraries.
History of Science and Medicine Curator