Skip to Main Content
Select Libraries are open. Online resources and support are available 24/7! Please see our COVID-Update page for reopening dates and hours starting in September. UW Libraries COVID-19 Updates
Using UW Libraries Search to Find Books
You can find eBooks in two ways:
- Do your search and then on the results screen, filter your results by using the toolbar:
- Choose Availability: "Available Online" and Resource Type: "eBooks"
- And then click on the green "Apply Filters" button
- Use the Advanced Search option
- Change "Show Only" to "UW Libraries" and "Material Type" to "eBooks"
- See the eBook FAQ for more information
- By Topic - Type in the keywords that broadly describe your topic. For example: jews spain inquisition history
- By Title - search for a specific book by title. Type in the first few words of the book title in quotations. For example: "writing history for the king"
- By Author - search for books written by a specific author. Type in the last name followed by the first name of the author in quotations. For example: "stacey robin"
History eBook Collections
Additional collections of eBooks can be found on eBook Collections guide. The following collections have strong history content:
Finding Books Beyond the UW
If you can't find the books you need at the UW or through our Summit partner libraries (Summit material can be found in UW Libraries Search), use the following catalogs. Books not available at the UW can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Browsing Medieval History
The UW Libraries arranges books by Library of Congress call numbers. Books on medieval history is generally shelved within the history of a specific country so for example if you are looking for a book on Anglo Saxon England, you will find it within the British history call number section (DA129-DA260). A book on the Muromachi period of Japan would be in the Japanese history call number section (DS855-DS869).
|D11 - D203
||General Medieval Europe
For a more specific breakdown of the call numbers see the Library of Congress Classification Online.