Skip to Main Content
Select Libraries are open. Online resources and support are available 24/7! Please see our COVID-Update page for reopening dates and hours starting in September. UW Libraries COVID-19 Updates
Scholarly Journal Articles
Use a Research Database on the UW Libraries website to find scholarly articles on your topic. The following databases are good choices for topics pertaining to Colonial through 19th Century American Literature:
- MLA International Bibliography - [UW restricted]
- MLA is the best database for finding information on literature, language, linguistics, and folklore. MLA covers scholarly journals and series, as well as chapters in books and dissertations. Please note: there is little FULL TEXT in MLA. Use the purple "Check For Full Text" links to see if the journal/book is available in the libraries.
- Historical Abstracts - [UW restricted]
Historical Abstracts is an excellent database for finding scholarly articles, chapters in books, and book reviews pertaining to world history from 1450 to the present. Please note: there is selected FULL TEXT in Historical Abstracts. Use the purple "Check For Full Text" links to see if the journal/book is available in the libraries.
- Academic Search Complete - [UW restricted]
Covers all subject areas--humanities, social sciences and sciences. Thus, it covers both history and literature, but not in the same depth as the databases above. Keep in mind that Academic Search Complete includes both scholarly journals and popular magazines. Some full text is available.
- Literature Online - [UW restricted]
Literature Online allows you to cross reference both literature and criticism, providing full-text versions of each.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Photo by Carl Van Vechten