Skip to main content
Highlights of Photograph Collections
- Tim Mayhew Photograph Collection. PH Collection 705. Contains photographs of what is possibly the Dorian House.
- Young Women's Christian Association (University of Washington) Photograph Collection, 1971-1981. PH Collection 628. Contains photographs relating to the Lesbian Resource Center, including portraits of co-coordinators Shelley Reddick and Kathy Timmons.
- Stephen Blair Photograph Collection. PH Collection 2004-083. Contains images of Stephen Blair's Hollywood career, service in the Merchant Marines, union activities, interest in alternative health, and involvement in the 1992 Alice B. Theatre production, "Hidden History."
- Seattle Women's Ensemble Photograph Collection. PH Collection 626. Contains photographs of the Seattle Women's Ensemble, including a group portrait and informal shots of rehearsals for choral and theatrical performances.
- Don Paulson and Skippy LaRue Photograph Collection. PH Collection 673. Contains photographs, negatives, and research materials of early local and national female impersonators, as well as original artwork collected for the creation of An Evening at the Garden of Allah: A Gay Cabaret in Seattle, a book co-written by Paulson. Also includes photographs, slides, and original artwork created by Paulson as a member of the Seattle chapter of Black and White Men Together (BWMT) and other gay/lesbian groups.
- Francis Hill Photograph Albums. PH Collection 1028. Hill (1927-2001) was born in Spokane, Washington, where he worked making railroad tracks until his mid twenties, when he relocated to Seattle in the early 1950s. He became one of the first transvestites to attend parties at the Double Header in Pioneer Square, the oldest gay bar in Seattle. Two albums of photographs of Seattle transvestite Francis Hill, showing Hill as a child and as a soldier, but largely in his later female persona, Francine.
- Bodybuilding Photograph Collection. PH Collection 454. This 1930s collection consists of one group photo and series of 12 bodybuilding poses, primarily taken in a studio setting.
GLBTQ Community in Images
Seattle Pride flier, 1990
Group climbing the International Fountain at Seattle Center
during Gay Pride Week, 1974