Skip to Main Content
All Libraries are open with limited hours. Masks required, no eating allowed. Online resources and support are available 24/7 UW Libraries Operations Updates
About This Guide
These are the guidelines by which materials are purchased for the English language and literatures collections of the UW Libraries (Seattle Campus). For questions or more information, please contact the English Studies Librarian.
UW Libraries: Collection Goals
The UW Libraries is committed to providing convenient and timely access to collections and information resources that are outstanding with respect to their quality, depth, diversity, format and currency to support the research and teaching missions of the University of Washington.
Oceanography covers ocean sciences, solutions to problems of societyal relevance, and public awareness of the marine environment. Areas of focus include climate change, acoustics, ocean acidification, fisheries assessments and tsunami forecasting.
Library of Congress Classification (LC):
- Geography (Arctic and Antarctic regions, maps, atlases) is represented in the G schedule.
- Hydrology is covered in the GB schedule.
- Oceanology and oceanography are covered in the GC schedule.
- Anthropology (???) is represented in the GN schedule.
- Physics is found in the QC schedule.
- Geology is represented in the QE schedule.
- Biology is found in the QH schedule.
- Botany is represented in the QK schedule.
- Zoology is covered in the QL schedule.
- Hydraulic engineering is represented in the TC schedule.
- Environmental technology is found in the TD schedule.
- Navigation is covered in the VK schedule.
Dewey Decimal Classification (Dewey materials are all located in remote storage):
- Mathematics is classified under 510-519.
- Physics is found in 530-539.
- Chemistry is represented in 540-549.
- Earth Sciences if found in 550-559.
- Biology is found in 570 and 574-579.
- Botany is represented in 580-589.
- Zoology is covered in 590-599.
- Related materials in engineering and transportation are found at 620-629.
- Swimming and diving are found at 797.2.
- The Arcitc is found at 919.8
- The Antarctic is found at 919.9.