Omeka is a robust web publishing platform for the display of scholarly exhibits and collections. Omeka is structured with ready-to-go templates, themes, and plug-ins that allow users to create polished, media-rich online projects without coding or extensive configurations. Omeka is ideal for:
- Creating curated online exhibits of images and media with accompanying scholarly framing and arguments.
- Publishing open, media-rich scholarly content using well-designed templates
- Example: Harlem Education History Project
SPLOTs are website templates that allow students to upload text, images, and other media to a "pin-board" type website, where their submissions can be displayed randomly and organized into collections. Unlike Omeka, SPLOTs do no require students to have any understanding of the platform or admin login credentials. SPLOTs are ideal for:
- Displaying student work as a diverse collection on a web platform. There are options to turn on comments, adding a potential for interaction.
- Digital projects that require little technical scaffolding (no "learning the tool" necessary).
- Example: Into the Pulterverse