Skip to main content
Spring 2020 COVID-19 Updates
At this time, and until further notice, we will not have access to any of the physical collection. Use filters to narrow your search results to available online:
It's not easy to browse our collections because we have so much! We recommend doing a search in UW Libraries Search, finding a few call numbers, and then browsing a specific area, rather than browsing broadly.
LOC (Library of Congress) Classification call number ranges:
- DC33-39.3 French Social Life & Customs
- GR160-162.5 French Folklore
- PC2001-3761 French Language
- PQ1100-3999 French Literature
- PQ1-771 French Literature (History & Criticism)
Just Want a Good Book to Read?
Search the holdings of over 10,000 libraries worldwide. Use this search to find books and other materials not available in UW and Summit Libraries. Use Interlibrary Loan to request items not owned by UW Libraries or its borrowing partners.
Search Tips for Finding Books
- Any - broadest type of search. Type in the keywords that broadly describe your topic. For example: annie ernaux les années. On the results screen choose the Resource Type "book" from the left toolbar. This will eliminate any articles that were found.
- Title - search for a specific book by title. Type in the first few words of the book title in quotations. For example: "Je ne suis pas sortie de ma nuit". On the results screen choose the Resource Type "book" from the left toolbar. This will eliminate any book reviews that were found.
- Author - search for books written by a specific author. Type in the last name followed by the first name of the author in quotations. For example: "ernaux annie". On the results screen choose the Resource Type "print books" and/or from the left toolbar. This will eliminate any book reviews and articles that were found.
Note down the library name and call number -- you need this information to locate the book.
The ARTFL Project
E-collection of French language texts spanning the 12th-20th centuries. Includes FRANTEXT; French Women Writers Database; Encyclopédie de Diderot; Provencal Poetry; Textes de Français Ancien; Trésor de la Langue Française dictionary; etc.
Finding Dissertations & Theses