A short tutorial on how to find background information using Gale eBooks.
1. From the Campus Library home page, select the "Research" menu. From that menu, select "Encyclopedias & Dictionaries".
2. Find the link to Gale eBooks under the "Encyclopedias" heading on the Encyclopedias & Dictionaries page. Select the link. Note: If you are accessing from off-campus, you will be prompted for your UW NetID when you click the Gale eBooks link.
3. Once you've arrived at Gale eBooks, navigate to the Search box and type in a keyword relevant to your topic.
Each search result will provide the titles from the article as well as the encyclopedia that the article comes from. You may want to choose an article based on what subject the encyclopedia covers.
4. If you are searching a broad topic, you can use the menus under "Filter Your Results" (in the top right corner of the page) to refine your search by categories like "Subjects", "Publication Title", "Publication Languages", and more.
5. Once you've found an interesting article, click the article title to read the full text.
6. At the end of the article's text, you will often find further readings on the topic, like "See Also" or "Bibliography", and you can search for the bibliography citations in UW Libraries Search.
7. Check the document tools in the top toolbar for options to send or download the article as well as to generate a citation for the article. If you do generate a citation, it's always good practice to confirm its accuracy with a citation style guide.
If you have any trouble or need help using Gale eBooks, contact the library for help!
Watch the video tutorial, "How do I search in Gale eBooks?" (00:02:19)