Skip to main content
UW Libraries Search
Tips for using UW Libraries Search to find Books
- Login to your UWNetID to take full advantages of the services provided through your library account.
- " "
- Use descriptive words as search terms
- Use keyword search phrases: examples, African-Americans, Asian Americans, Chicanos
- Refine My Results Menu (along the left of your search results) narrow the scope of your search.
- If interested in eBooks, click Available Online to view digital items
- Under Resource Type, click more to display complete list, then click ebooks
- When reviewing Item Details, note Subjects to identify addition search terms
- Truncation * returns results with a root word and any ending: politic* [finds politician, political, politically, politics...]
- Click the title link to display item details (library location; call number, availability, etc.)
- Use UW Libraries Search Advanced Search for complex searches and limits
For example: Subject [ Civil Rights ] ; Keyword/Any Field [ African-Americans ]
- See more info on UW Libraries Search >>
The Libraries has recently begun a No-contact Pick-up Service at each UW campus! Library buildings are still closed until further notice. .
Sample Library of Congress Subject Headings
- African Americans - Political conditions
- African Americans - Social conditions
- Asian Americans - Political conditions
- Asian Americans - Social conditions
- Chicanos - Political conditions
- Chicanos - Social conditions
Library of Congress Call Numbers (African Americans, Asian Americans/Pacific Islanders, Chicanos)
- Call numbers are both the subject and physical location of items.
- E184-185.98 Elements in the Population
The Libraries has recently begun its No-contact Pick-up Service at each UW campus! Library buildings are still closed until further notice.
The Internet Archive
A non-profit digital library offering free universal access to books, movies & music, as well as 424 billion archived web pages
How to Find Books
Use UW Library search to find books and other physical materials at UW Libraries and Summit (A consortia of 37 libraries). More.
eBooks At UW
An ebook is an electronic version of a printed book. Some ebooks require you to set up a personal account in order to view them.
The following link provides access to ebook packages at the University of Washington.
How Do I Request A Book Not Owned By UW?
Sometimes you may discover a book or other materials listed in UW Libraries Search that we do not own. Don’t fret, you may still be able to obtain it through Interlibrary loan (ILL).