Skip to Main Content
All UW Libraries are CLOSED but online resources and support are available 24/7! Please see our COVID-Update page for reopening dates and hours starting in September. UW Libraries COVID-19 Updates
Tips for searching UW Libraries Search for Books on American Indians or Native Americans
- Login to your UWNetID to take full advantages of the services provided through your library account.
- To enter as one search term, enclose authors, titles, or keywords/topics in " ".
- Use descriptive words as search terms.
- Use keyword search phrases: examples, American Indians economic, American Indians politics, Native Americans civil rights.
- Find the Revise My Results Menu to limit or focus your search. This allows you to limit by availability, resource type (format), library, topic, among other limits. For example, perform a search for NisquallyTribe. On the Revise My Results menu find Author/Creator and click show more to display a list of author who have written on the Tribe.
- Truncation * returns results with a root word and any ending: politic* [finds politician, political, politically, politics...]
- To to find a eBook, under Resource Type (left navigation menu) choose eBook. You may need to click Show More.
- Click the title link to display item details (library location; call number, availability, etc.).
- Use Advanced Search for complex searches and limits.
- For example: Subject [ Civil Rights ] ; Keyword/Any Field [ Native-Americans ]
- Enter connectors (AND/OR) in uppercase letters.
- See more info on UW Libraries Search >>
Sample Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Indian art North America
- Indians of North America - Fishing
- Indians of North America - Education
- Indians of North America - Washington - Education
- Tulalip Indians - Education
- Tulalip Indians - Social conditions
- United States - Civilization - Indian influences
Library of Congress Call Numbers
- Subject and Location Numbers
- E77 General works
- E78 By state, province or region, A-Z
- E98 By subject, A-Z
- E99 By Tribe, A-Z
The Libraries has recently begun its No-contact Pick-up Service at each UW campus! Library buildings are still closed until further notice.
The Internet Archives
A non-profit library of free books, movies, software, music, websites, and more.
How Do I Find A Book At UW?
FAQ Tutorial demonstrating how to find a book and other materials in UW Libraries. Walks through the process from searching to locating a book on the shelf.
eBooks At UW
An ebook is an electronic version of a printed book. Some ebooks require you to set up a personal account in order to view them.
The following link provides access to ebook packages at the University of Washington.
How Do I Request Books Not Owned By UW?
Sometimes you may discover a book or other materials listed in UW Libraries Search that we do not own. Don’t fret, you may still be able to obtain it through Interlibrary loan (ILL).