Skip to Main Content
All Libraries are open, with new expanded hours. Masks required, no eating allowed. Online resources and support are available 24/7
UW Libraries Operations Updates
What's in the Guide
- Miles Franklin Established in 1954, this is Australia's first and most prestigious literary award.
- Patrick White Established by Patrick White following his Nobel Prize for Literature in 1973, this award is given to authors who have made a significant but inadequately recognized contribution to Australian literature.
- David Unaipon In honor of the first Indigenous author, this annual literary competition is open only to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander authors who have yet to be published.
- New South Wales Premier's The first set of premier's awards to be offered in Australia, recognizing many of Australia's greatest writers and most significant works of literature over the past 31 years.
- Victorian Premier's Established to recognize excellence in Australian writing and in contributions to the development of Australian culture.
- Queensland Literary Awards Celebrating writing excellence across 14 categories, these awards aim to nurture Australia's greatest talent, and to support and encourage the development of up-and-coming authors.
- Western Australian Premier's Managed by the State Library of Western Australia, awards are for Fiction, Non-Fiction, Children's Book, Writing for Young Adults, Poetry, Scripts, West Australian History, and the Digital Narrative Award which recognises the use of new media in storytelling/writing.
- Age Book of the Year Awards presented by Melbourne's The Age newspaper.
- Vogel The Australian Vogel Literary Award is one of Australia's richest and the most prestigious award for an unpublished manuscript by a writer under the age of thirty-five.
- Tasmanian Literary Prizes Tasmanian Government’s biennial literary awards since 2001. The prizes celebrate the richness of the Tasmanian literary sector and acknowledge the particular influence that Tasmania has on written work.
- Children's Book of the Year Children's Book Council of Australia.
- Aurealis Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy.
- Australian Literature Information on researching and locating Australian literature, including major print and on-line tools, journals, magazines, bibliographies, professional associations, publishers, and bookstores.
Comparative Literature Librarian