Skip to Main Content
Using UW Libraries Search to Find Books
- To search for books by keywords just enter your terms into the search box; use quotations to lock phrases -- for example: "motion pictures" india history
- To search for a book by title use quotations around the first few words of the book -- for example: "ferocious reality"
- To search for a book by author type in the surname followed by the first name in quotes -- for example: "bean jennifer"
Subject Headings Related to Cinema
Libraries use official terminology (subject headings) created by the Library of Congress (LC) to categorize books by subject. You may want to use subject headings when ordinary keyword searching finds too many irrelevant results. Here are some examples that may be useful when searching for books related to cinema studies. You can also search for the film names or personal names (of directors, actors, etc.) to find books on specific films or people.
- motion pictures
- motion pictures china
- motion picture industry
- motion picture industry india
- motion picture plays
- motion picture music
- motion picture producers and directors
- motion pictures reviews
- african americans in motion pictures
- women in motion pictures
- film genres
- horror films
- horror films japan
- comedy films
- silent films
- film noir
- film criticism
Finding Books Beyond the UW
If you can't find the books you need at the UW or through our Summit partner libraries (Summit material can be found in UW Libraries Search), use the following catalogs. Books not available at the UW can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Selected eBook Collections