Skip to Main Content
All Libraries are open with limited hours. Masks required, no eating allowed. Online resources and support are available 24/7 UW Libraries Operations Updates
Using UW Libraries Search to Find Books
You can find eBooks in two ways:
- Do your search and then on the results screen, filter your results by using the toolbar:
- Choose Availability: "Available Online" and Resource Type: "eBooks"
- And then click on the green "Apply Filters" button
- Use the Advanced Search option
- Change "Show Only" to "UW Libraries" and "Material Type" to "eBooks"
- See the eBook FAQ for more information
- By Topic - Type in the keywords that broadly describe your topic. For example: salmon dams history
- By Title - search for a specific book by title. Type in the first few words of the book title in quotations. For example: "sea is my country"
- By Author - search for books written by a specific author. Type in the last name followed by the first name of the author in quotations. For example: "findlay john"
History eBook Collections
Additional collections of eBooks can be found on eBook Collections guide. The following collections have strong history content:
Finding Books Beyond the UW
If you can't find the books you need at the UW or through our Summit partner libraries (Summit material can be found in UW Libraries Search), use the following catalogs. Books not available at the UW can be requested through Interlibrary Loan.
Browsing PNW History
The UW Libraries arranges books by Library of Congress call numbers. Though history is covered in every discipline (e.g., women's history may be located in the women's studies call numbers while the medical history may be in the medicine call numbers), the major sections for PNW history are listed below. Many books dealing with PNW history are housed in Special Collections located in the basement of Allen Library South.