Skip to main content
Research Guides

Graduate Funding Information Service: International Students

Online guide and resources for graduate students looking for funding opportunities.

International Student Workshop Materials

International Graduate Student Funding Handout

The following handout includes funding opportunities and resources open to international students:


Graduate Funding for International Students Workshop  |  April 25, 2019
The Graduate Funding Information Service (GFIS) workshop covered funding resources for international graduate students at UW, including fellowships, scholarships, and employment to help finance tuition, research, and travel.

A recording of the April 25, 2019 event can be found here:

On-Campus Resources

Assistantships at UW

International students can hold assistantships at the University of Washington. Teaching assistants (TAs) must meet an English-language proficiency requirement. For more information about assistantships and how to find them, see the "Funding from UW" tab on this guide.

UW Graduate School Core Programs

Core Programs offers a number of events to support graduate students at UW, including international students. Check out their events calendar for more information.

UW International Student Services

International Student Services (ISS) can help with questions about visa status and eligibility for on- or off-campus employment.

Tools for Finding External Funding

Using Funding Databases

In some funding databases, you are able to filter your search based on citizenship. This is especially important for international students as this filter will often display results that are specific to your country of citizenship, or results that do not have citizenship requirements at all. Below we offer an example of how to take advantage of these filters in one of the public funding databases linked on our research guide. 

In UCLA Graduate and Postdoctoral Extramural Support (GRAPES) Database

To see opportunities for non-US residents, select the "US citizen not required" box from the filters list on the left hand side of the page.

In Harvard University CARAT Database for Grants and Fellowships

To see opportunities for non-US residents, click on the "CARAT database" button, and then scroll down to the "Citizenship Requirement" section on the lower-lefthand side. Click on the "International Student/Scholar" box.