Skip to main content
Individual study space @ Research Commons now available by reservation. All other Libraries spaces are closed. Online resources and support are available 24/7! UW Libraries COVID-19 Updates
Emergency Temporary Access Service
During the closure of the UW Libraries due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) permits special access for UW faculty, students, and staff
to specific digital materials in HathiTrust that correspond to physical books held by UW Libraries. You can access more than 1.7 million titles through the HathiTrust Emergency Temporary Access Service (ETAS) using UW Libraries Search
Accessing HathiTrust ETAS Materials through UW Libraries Search
STEP ONE: Start in UW Libraries Search.
- Under the View It section, follow the link to HathiTrust Emergency Library.
STEP TWO: Once at the HathiTrust ETAS site, look for the yellow button in the upper right-hand corner of the page.
- Choose University of Washington from the list.
- You may be prompted to log in with your UWNetID at this point.
- If you are already logged in, the yellow log in button will not appear.
STEP THREE: Scroll down the page to view the the Temporary Access links for the item under Viewability.
- There may be multiple viewing options listed.
STEP FOUR: Select Check Out
STEP FIVE: Read your item!
Chat with a Librarian
If you need help immediately, you can speak with a librarian using our 24/7 chat service!
Limits on ETAS Materials
- Items in the HathiTrust ETAS program cannot be printed or downloaded;
- ETAS books can be used by only one user at a time;
- You can check out an ETAS book for one hour. Your access will renew automatically at the end of that hour, unless another user requests the book after that hour is over.
- While some journals are available via ETAS, it may be more expedient for UW users to request scanned copies of articles (which will be sent as PDFs).
- Materials in ETAS are available only to current UW students, staff, and faculty. This does not include retirees.