Skip to Main Content
All Libraries are open with limited hours. Masks required, no eating allowed. Online resources and support are available 24/7 UW Libraries Operations Updates
Latin American Women Writers
A e-book collection of prose, poetry, and drama composed by women writing in Mexico, Central America, and South America.
More than 3,000 open access humanities and social sciences e-books from Latin America and the Caribbean.
Latino Literature: Poetry, Drama, and Fiction
Includes more than 100,000 pages of poetry, short fiction, novels, and more than 450 plays for the study of American history, ethnic diversity, immigrations issues, and political history.
The Biblioteca Ayacucho is an editorial entity of the government of Venezuela, founded in 1974. The Biblioteca Ayacucho now offers free access through CLACSO to around 250 Venezuelan and Latin American books, ranging from recent publications to classics by authors such as Simón Bolívar.
Search the holdings of over 10,000 libraries worldwide. Use this search to find books and other materials not available in UW and Summit Libraries. Use Interlibrary Loan to request items not owned by UW Libraries or its borrowing partners.
Find Books: Using Subject Headings
Once you find a book that interests you in the catalog, a good strategy to find more is to use the subject headings. Scroll down to "LCSH and PCI subjects" in the record for your book. Follow the hyperlinks or use these terms in your searches.
Browsing the stacks for books
It can be tricky to browse the stacks for books. The recommended strategy is to do some keyword searching within UW Libraries Search, jot down a few call numbers on topics of interest, and then go to the stacks to browse. You may need to browse a few sections.
Library of Congress classification (LC):
- Major UW collection areas fall within:
- BL2540-2592 Religion in Latin America
- BR600 Christianity in Latin America
- E51-73 History: Latin America (Pre-Columbian)
- E65 History: Indigenous Peoples. Latin America (General)
- F1201-3799 History: Latin America and the Caribbean
- F1201-F1392 Mexico
- F1421-F1569 Central America
- F1435 Central America, Mayas
- F1465 Central America, Guatemala, Mayas
- F1601-F2191 Caribbean
- F2201-F3799 South America
- F2230 South America, Indigenous Peoples
- F3429 South America, Peru, Inca
- GN Anthropology
- HD - Industries. Land Use. Labor
- HN - Social history and conditions. Social problems.
- HQ - The family. Marriage. Women.
- HV640s - Refugee Relief
- JC599 Human Rights - Latin America
- JL599-3899 Political Science. Political institutions and public administration. Latin America & The Caribbean
- M - Music
- N - Fine Arts
- PC - Romance Language Linguistics
- PM3001-4566 - Languages of Mexico and Central America
PM5001-7356 - Languages of South America and the West Indies
- PN1990-1999 Broadcasting, Motion Pictures
- PN4930-5106 - Journalism in Latin America
- PQ - Romance Language Literatures
For more granular call number ranges, see: Tulane Latin American Library's Call Number Guide and the Library of Congress Classification Outline
Finding Dissertations & Theses
UW Theses and Dissertations:
ProQuest Dissertations & Theses Global
Index to doctoral dissertations and selected masters theses from 1861 to the present; includes 2 million+ full text dissertations published since 1997.
Theses from Mexico (UNAM)
Full text of thesis/dissertations completed at the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM).